Castana The name derives from the chestnut trees that probably characterized the surrounding hills. Known in ancient times as Castanae castrum, literally the center (fortified) of chestnuts, Castana, in the map of the region compiled by historian Severino Capsoni nineteenth century, it was already mentioned in Roman times such Castanem. In the middle are the remains of the medieval castle, built on a hill that dominates the valley, made of Castana an important strategic core. Probably built by the monks of St. Bartholomew in Pavia Street, the village was the star of ups and downs over the centuries. In 1200, a time when Brown was made up of a fortress around which stood a few houses with thatched roof (as witness a historical document dating back to that period), was devastated by the fighting between Cremonese and Piacenza fighting with the Marquis of Monferrato took refuge within its walls. During the clashes, the castle was set on fire. In 1531, Brown was part of the fief of Broni, run by Beccaria, who kept it until 1531, when, with the death of Peter Beccaria, the family became extinct. Brown then passed to the Borromeo family and then to the families of Arrigoni and Pallavicino. From medieval town center renowned wine pace it was not so short; certain is that currently Castana is much known for its valuable wine productions and for its, albeit interesting, historical and artistic aspects.