the Municipality
S. Martino Siccomario
Is about 5 Km from Pavia

Link to Deepen
The History
According to a medieval legend, St. Martin of Tours spent his childhood in the area in which the village sprang up. It is certain that a hospice dedicated to St. Martin was set up during the rule of Charlemagne and that the emperor placed it under the jurisdiction of the Monastery of St. Martin of Tours. In a document dating from 909, the term Terra Arsa (Burned/Dry Land) appeared, with reference to the area of San Martino, further in the text mentioned as San Martino in Terra Arsa. However, in 1099, the name Siccomario appeared in the form of Sigemarium, hinting at a possible relation between the toponym and a land owner with a German name: Sigemar. During the Renaissance it was known that the term Terra Arsa (Burned/Dry Land) was the popularization of Siccomario, both names referring to the dryness of the area (Siccomario, from Latin siccum, meaning dry), most probably because it was originally a reclaimed marsh. As the term Terra Arsa precedes Sigemarium, the etymology issue is still unresolved. Places of interest • Parish Church of San Martino • Sanctuary of Our Lady of Graces / Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie
1682

Views
Information
Luoghi da Visitare
  • • Parrocchiale di San Martino
  • • Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie
Where we are
Get directions
We are on the routes
The History
According to a medieval legend, St. Martin of Tours spent his childhood in the area in which the village sprang up. It is certain that a hospice dedicated to St. Martin was set up during the rule of Charlemagne and that the emperor placed it under the jurisdiction of the Monastery of St. Martin of Tours. In a document dating from 909, the term Terra Arsa (Burned/Dry Land) appeared, with reference to the area of San Martino, further in the text mentioned as San Martino in Terra Arsa. However, in 1099, the name Siccomario appeared in the form of Sigemarium, hinting at a possible relation between the toponym and a land owner with a German name: Sigemar. During the Renaissance it was known that the term Terra Arsa (Burned/Dry Land) was the popularization of Siccomario, both names referring to the dryness of the area (Siccomario, from Latin siccum, meaning dry), most probably because it was originally a reclaimed marsh. As the term Terra Arsa precedes Sigemarium, the etymology issue is still unresolved. Places of interest • Parish Church of San Martino • Sanctuary of Our Lady of Graces / Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie
BUY THE PAVIACARD