According to unconfirmed sources, the name Inverno is referred to the Roman winter camp, Hiberna Castra. During the Crusades, the Order of the Hospitallers (later called Knights of Malta) built the present castle that had the dominion over the village in the following centuries. In the 10th century, mentioned under the name of Mons Luponi, Monteleone was part of the Campagna Sottana of Pavia. From the 15th century onwards, it was under the jurisdiction of the podestà of the Vicariate of Belgioioso. It was later owned by the Estensi family and eventually by the Barbiano family of Belgioioso, since 1757. It was named Monteleone sui Colli Pavesi in 1863 and annexed to the municipality of Inverno in 1872. Its present name dates from 1961.