Zavattarello
the Municipality
Zavattarello
Is about 50 Km from Pavia

Link to Deepen
The History
It used to be the estate of the Abbey (Abazia) of San Colombano di Bobbio. After the formation of the Bishop’s County of Bobbio, it became the personal estate of the Bishop, who built a castle there. In 1390, the Bishop passed the ownership of the castle, including the estate, to Jacopo Dal Verme. In 1743, it became part of the Province of Bobbio and, in 1801, the area came under rule of France and Napoleon and lasted until 1814. Zavattarello was annexed to Piedmont in 1848, and then to the newly established Province of Pavia, therefore to Lombardy, in 1859. In 1923, however, it became part of the Province of Piacenza, but was returned to Pavia in 1926. Zavattarello owes its name to the craftsmen that were many in town: the slipper makers. In popular language, they were called “savattarellum”. Literally, it means “place where slippers (savatte) are made”. To this day, the town is called “Savataré” in the local dialect. Places of interest • Dal Verme Castle
1902

Views
Information
Luoghi da Visitare
  • • Castello Dal Verme
We are on the routes
The History
It used to be the estate of the Abbey (Abazia) of San Colombano di Bobbio. After the formation of the Bishop’s County of Bobbio, it became the personal estate of the Bishop, who built a castle there. In 1390, the Bishop passed the ownership of the castle, including the estate, to Jacopo Dal Verme. In 1743, it became part of the Province of Bobbio and, in 1801, the area came under rule of France and Napoleon and lasted until 1814. Zavattarello was annexed to Piedmont in 1848, and then to the newly established Province of Pavia, therefore to Lombardy, in 1859. In 1923, however, it became part of the Province of Piacenza, but was returned to Pavia in 1926. Zavattarello owes its name to the craftsmen that were many in town: the slipper makers. In popular language, they were called “savattarellum”. Literally, it means “place where slippers (savatte) are made”. To this day, the town is called “Savataré” in the local dialect. Places of interest • Dal Verme Castle
BUY THE PAVIACARD