The municipality of Ponte Nizza was formed in 1928 with the merger of Pizzocorno, Trebbiano Nizza, San Ponzo Semola and Cecima. The latter municipality regained its independence in 1956. Pizzocorno used to make part of the Malaspina marquisate and its castle was the main residence of one of the three lines of the family known as Spino Fiorito, who were the lords of the valley of the Stàffora. Trebbiano belonged to the Malaspina marquisate from the very start and remained property of the Malaspina family line of Oramala and Godiasco. San Ponzo was donated to the Bishop of Pavia in 943 by the kings Hugo and Lothar. It was the seat of an important parish church belonging to the Tortona diocese that controlled many nearby villages.